At the Curly Girl Methode you can use many different methods to style your hair. The Mousse-Gel-Mousse technology is one of them. But, how exactly does this work and who does it work for?
What is the mousse-gel-mousse technique?
The technology actually works exactly as described. While styling, first apply a mousse to your hair, then a gel and finally a mousse. It is most useful to apply this technique on a wash day (so, that you follow your entire washing routine from washing to styling).
How can you apply this within your curly girl routine?
- Wash your hair with a shampoo
- Then apply a conditioner or mask. Then rinse it out completely
- Squeeze the excess water from your hair with a towel and apply a small amount of leave-in or cream.
- Now apply the mousse to your hair. Don't be too stingy with the mousse, it's okay to apply a big 'toe'. Smooth the mousse over your hair and then squeeze it further into your hair.
- Now take the gel, smooth it over all parts of your hair and squeeze it back in.
- You can use your Denman Brush at this step to distribute the products even better over your hair
- Now apply the mousse again. And squeeze it into your hair.
- Scrunch your hair by bringing your hair forward. Make sure you also tilt your head to the left and right so that you scrunch the products well into your hair.
- Then grab a towel and squeeze it dry.
- Get started with diffuser now! Is it completely dry? Then you're done!
- Has your hair gotten a little harder? Then you can use a little oil to squeeze it out.
@curlytools Would you like to have more hold/defenition by using a mousse? Add a gel! #curlyhairmousse #curlyhairtutorial #curlyhairtrick ♬ CAKE - ROSALÍA
Who does this technique work for?
The mousse gel mousse technique can be used by everyone, from type 2 hair to curl types that have a stronger curl pattern. Wavy's in particular benefit from this technique as mousse is often a relatively lighter product than the gel. Styling your hair with a mousse alone is often too light, so with a little extra gel you can give your hair more hold and definition.
Which products do you use with this technique?
Babs used in her video: